Avenue Yarns is here to inspire, educate and support you and your fiber crafts. Join us for a class, some social time, or to shop our carefully selected yarns, fibers, tools and other treasures.
Karen King opened Avenue Yarns with Rebekah Porter on October 10, 2015. Customers know Karen and Rebekah because the two have worked in just about every yarn shop in the East Bay over the last dozen years or so.
Working in, learning in, and loving other shops gave Karen and Rebekah a unique opportunity to hone their vision of what makes a great yarn shop: selection, crafting support, and lots of craft community get-togethers and events.
For guidance in selection Karen and Rebekah look for tools, yarns and fiber, that THEY want to work with and colors that inspire them. Each offering has been thoughtfully chosen and probably has a little story behind it!
Supporting customers' crafting efforts is a high priority at the shop. "Knit Labs" are offered six times per week and are two-hour, small-group sessions with expert teachers who answer questions and provide guidance. There is also a growing list of classes to explore.
Community get-togethers include Thursday evening Knit Nights, Spinning Night, and fun Knit/Crochet-Alongs. Special events such as visiting teachers, "yarn tastings," and trunk shows are scheduled monthly or more. Avenue Yarns loves to share!
How We Roll:
Over the years, we've found these policies help us all work and play together nicely.
- Yarn winding: We are happy to wind yarn that you purchase at the store. If you want us to wind yarn that you purchased elsewhere, we charge a nominal fee of $1.50 per skein. That fee provides our ball winder with parts that wear out frequently.
- Yarn can be returned within 90 days of the date of purchase, with the receipt of purchase, if it is in like-new condition.
- We cannot accept returns on needles, notions, books, patterns or sale merchandise.
Class policies: We work hard to offer an exciting array of classes at a variety of times. We also work hard to respect our teachers' time and expertise.
- To guarantee your spot in a class, just sign up and pay for it. It is only when we have a minimum of three paid students signed up that we can guarantee a class will run as scheduled. We try our best to keep classes open for sign ups for as long as possible. If a class scheduling doesn't attract the minimum of three students, we will cancel it, offering anyone who has signed up a refund (if paid via credit cart or PayPal) or store credit (if paid via cash or check).
- If you find you must cancel after signing up for a class, we must have 48-hours notice to adequately alert the teacher and be able issue a you refund.